Thursday, February 21, 2019

Blue Bell Hills

Kerrville has several distinctive neighborhoods worthy of recognition. One of them is Blue Bell Hills. which I blogged about several years ago. I was stunned to discover back then that the neighborhood was planned by Hare & Hare, a pioneering landscape architect firm in the United States.  A number of their works are on the National Register of Historic Places. Some also have Texas historical markers. I believe this neighborhood, which retains most of its original homes and characteristics, is also eligible for listing on the National Register. Learn more about Hare & Hare here.

There is currently a proposal by Trinity Baptist Church to close part of Bluebell Road from Jackson Road to Cypress for church expansion. It appears that Hare & Hare's work will be affected.

I wish the residents the best in their effort to protect their neighborhood and its historical characteristics.

3 comments:

  1. Deborah, my friend Bunny Bond shared your wonderful post with me, and I couldn't be more delighted to read your wonderful research into my beloved neighborhood. I'm the keeper of an eLoop of concerned Bluebells--neighbors--who are concerned about what might happened to our little community. I think they'll want to see your history, too. BTW, Kit Goldsbury asked me to research and write a history of the Pearl Brewery (for his eyes only) when he bought and restored the place as his gift to the city of San Antonio. I was extremely interested to learn I'm living on Otto Wahrmund's former property. Wahrmund played such a big part in the start of Pearl Beer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deborah, my name is Martha Hix--my pen name is often Edgiva.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wish them success in preserving their neighborhood. It takes much planning and many hours of work in a situation like this. Entry on the NRHP and any other designation needs to be done quickly. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete