This award recognizes Texas businesses "that have provided employment opportunities and support to the state's economy for at least 50 years."
The full requirements can be found at the above link, but in general, businesses must have been in continuous for-profit operation in Texas for at least 50 years and must continue to operate the same or very similar business. The business may have changed hands. Businesses that have stayed in the same family or have operated from the same place for more than 50 years get special recognition.
The business gets an attractive certificate to hang on the wall--which it agrees to display.
Mosty Brothers Nursery, Center Point, est. 1897, is the first business in Kerr County to receive this award.
Here is a list of other for-profit businesses based in Kerr County that appear to qualify. There may be more. City is Kerrville unless otherwise indicated.
- FIRST Insurance Agency of the Hill Country, 1890.
- T. J. Moore Lumber Yard, Ingram, 1892.
- Kerrville Daily Times, 1910.
- Sanchez Barber Shop, 1911.
- Garrett Insurance, 1918.
- Grimes Funeral Chapel, 1920.
- Camp Rio Vista, Hunt, 1921.
- Camp Stewart, Hunt, 1924.
- Kerr County Abstract Company, 1924.
- Camp Waldemar, Hunt, 1926.
- Camp Mystic, Hunt, 1926.
- Camp La Junta, Hunt, 1928.
- Camp Waltonia, Hunt, 1928.
- Crider's, Hunt, 1926.
- Mosty's Garage 1926.
- Kerrville Bus Company, 1929.
- R.C. McBryde Oil, by 1931.
- Fidelity Abstract and Title, 1936.
- Heart of the Hills Taxidermy, 1937.
- Kickapoo Kamp, 1943.
- Del Norte Restaurant, 1946.
- The Hunt Store, Hunt, 1946.
- Mooney Aircraft, 1946.
- Heart O' the Hills Camp, Hunt, 1949.
- Hill Country Telephone Cooperative, Ingram. 1951.
- Hester Window Coverings, 1951.
- Bernhard's Meat Processing and Market, Ingram, 1952.
- Hill Country Affordable Motors, 1954.
- Hunt-Ingram Gas Company, Ingram, 1955.
- The Rose Shop, 1955.
- Inn of the Hills, 1963.
- Herring Printing, 1964.
If you have others to add to this list, you can comment below or contact me at my blog email address, dgaudier at gmail.com, and I will update this list.