Friday, February 2, 2018

Gibson's Discount Center

I just read in the Community Journal that Gibson's is celebrating its 50th anniversary. I enjoyed the article and have a little to add to it.

This is the perfect opportunity to share a 1972 photo I found in the Schreiner University archives. It is in a photo collection whose name seems to have been lost in a file transfer. :(
If I can find the information, I'll give proper credit.

The very first mention I could find of Gibson's in Kerrville is in the December 13, 1967, Kerrville Mountain Sun.
Mr. and Mrs. Morris Harris announced this week that they have obtained the Gibson Discount franchise for Kerrville, and having a gigantic new building under construction to house the firm. ... B.W. Moller, of Victoria, is the owner of the building, and has leased it to Morris Harris. The building is located at 101 West Main Street, between West Main and West Water Streets along the banks of Town Creek.  Alamo Steel Builders of San Antonio are the contractors, and the cost was filed at $90,000.
Around May 1, 1968, R. J. "Jim" Angell opened a pharmacy inside Gibson's.  That year Gibson's sponsored a Little League team, the first of many.

The Kerrville Gibson's is the only remaining store of what was once a chain of more than 400 stores. It's a real treasure to the community. As I have learned, if you're looking for some hard-to-find item,  always check Gibson's!


1 comment:

  1. I remember when Gibson's came to town, though I couldn't have put a date to it.

    ReplyDelete